The International GIRO Forum (IGF) is a workshop hosted by LDI where participants discuss the latest developments on the “Global Ionosphere Radio Observatory” (GIRO) and the “Lowell GIRO Data Center” (LGDC). Experts give lead talks on new measurement capabilities of the Digisonde family of instrumentation, associated research applications, data dissemination and archiving, quality control, and scientific data interpretation. The participants attend hands-on sessions ranging in topics from data analysis to hardware troubleshooting.
IGF is usually preceded by a one-day Real-Time-IRI Task Force Meeting.
Topics covered at IGF:
- Space weather applications including the ongoing development of the real-time extension of the International Reference Ionosphere (IRI) Ne model based on GIRO real-time data streams
- Access portal to Lowell GIRO Data Center, including DIDBase, TID Warning System, and GAMBIT coefficients for the real-time assimilative IRI
- IRI-based Real-Time Assimilative Model (IRTAM)
- Cooperative real-time GIRO and GNSS specification of 3D ionosphere
- Cooperation of GIRO and COSMIC II
- Vary-Chap topside electron density profile modeling
- SAO.XML model for ionospheric data exchange
- High cadence Ionogram and skymap/drift measurements for coordinated experiments with the HAARP ionospheric heating facility
- TID Detection and Warning System with DPS4Ds
- Ionospheric Irregularity Index (?)
- DPS4D HF absorption measurements
- Data quality control of ARTIST-5 autoscaling
- Precision ranging for h’(f) measurements
- Hardware and software developments for the latest Digisonde instrumentation
- Double-Probe & Topside-Ionosphere-Sounder (DPTIS) status and prospects
- New DPS-5 Digisonde model
- New DPR-5 Receive-only Digisonde model
Attendees include scientists, engineers, radio enthusiasts, and anyone interested in ionospheric sounding research and analysis. The workshop is seen as a valuable resource by the ionospheric research community: "The work sessions that allow for 1&1 interaction are extremely valuable, also the combination of science & technical is very important" – L.A. McKinnell. IGF has historically been hosted in the UMass Lowell Inn & Conference Center, which provides spacious conference facilities, the convenience of lodging, and easy access to the city of Lowell and LDI.
Join our email mailing list here to be notified of the next IGF.